Sunday, May 2, 2010

Living the Pledge and the Principles

As a white belt you struggle to learn and remember the Student Pledge and the Principles of Black Belt. It is not until you are much further along in your martial arts training that you start to really understand what they mean and the impact that they have on your life.

 


“I intend to develop myself in a positive manner…” was a big shift for me. I am a glass is half empty kind of girl by nature. My martial arts training has changed that in so many ways. I am a happier, healthier person.

 


“Perseverance” is the principle that I have had to work on the most. It was hard for me to change my habits. It was a challenge to get up early and train when most of the world was sleeping. I hated telling my friends that I could not do this or go there because I had to train in the morning. I often wondered if it was all worth it. I no longer wonder. I know it is worth it.

 
Posted by Picasa


The true test that I have learned is to truly live the pledge and principles came a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I suffered two separate injuries three weeks prior to Power Weekend. Initially I was devastated. However, through perseverance and by remaining positive, I believe I will be ready for the challenge ahead of me.

Two years ago I thought that achieving a black belt was the end. Now, as I approach that goal, I now realize that my journey has just begun.

 

1 comment:

  1. Tina,
    I am confident that I can speak on behalf of all your friends to say we are totally blown away by your sucess in martial arts. I always knew you had the mental fortitude to do whatever you set your mind to, and marvel at the physical strength you possess.
    Way to go T! I am looking forward to being there this weekend to support you any way I can!
    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete