Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Often The Fear of The Unknown Is Much Worse Than The Reality

This was my Facebook status a few weeks ago. I had come to this revelation on my journey to black belt after a class where we were had our eyes closed and were hit by other people. For your non-TKD peeps, don't gasp, we were all sufficiently padded with protective gear.

After that exercise I realized that I have wasted so much time and energy in my life worrying and being afraid of what is going to happen. Not just with TKD, but with my career and countless other things.

I strongly believe in being prepared. However, I now realize that the energy spent on being afraid is better used somewhere more constructively.

I know that I have internalized this lesson as I head into Power Weekend. Yes, I'm a little nervous, but I'm mostly excited. I done being afraid. what will be will be, what will happen, will happen. I know that I'm prepared. Don't get me wrong. I know it will be challenging and that I will be pushed past what I think is possible. I may cry, I may puke and I may want to quit, but I won't. I know that I've worked hard and I've been given the tools by my instructors. If they didn't think I was ready, I wouldn't be here. They, along with my teammates and friends believe in me. It's about time that I believe into myself.

We've been told that Power Weekend changes you for the better. I'm curios to see that change. See you all on the flip side. Thanks for all of your love and support. I couldn't have, nor would I have wanted to do it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment